[Esip-documentation] Question on licensing of "Attribute Convention for Data Discovery 1.3" wiki page content

John Graybeal jbgraybeal at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 23 02:22:59 EDT 2018

sorry, never saw this list of questions earlier.  I can answer most of them, based on the last round, which had a process approved by the participating members of the committee.

A few quick references:
* the overview of ACDD is described at http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Category:Attribute_Conventions_Dataset_Discovery <http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Category:Attribute_Conventions_Dataset_Discovery>; it includes answers to the questions below and many more, the history of previous versions, the Governance (!), and all the related documentation on the Wiki.
* the latest specification is pointed to by http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Category:Attribute_Conventions_Dataset_Discovery <http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Category:Attribute_Conventions_Dataset_Discovery>

I can sum up the answers by saying, yes, actually, there was a well-defined and committee-approved process that produced released documents with the appropriately named URLs. It worked pretty well actually, given the technology is a a bit long in the tooth.

1) We created that structure of documents to meet the immediate management needs, but the Documentation Cluster did not create a protocol beyond the one we used to build the actual pages and manage the discussion. (So for example, I recall that we agreed that 70% of participating voters needed to approve a new standard in order for it to be released. Oh hey, just looked at the master document and there's a fair amount of Governance information there. That is the authoritative document (the overview document linked above).

2) The documents on the Wiki are the controlled documents. (Not perfect but very workable.)  They are version-controlled, so any changes can be detected, and they are not supposed to change once a particular release is approved.  When a new release is being considered, intermediate point-release documents are created to manage the discussion and the changes. When a new release is finally approved, the final document (with that release number in the title and URL) is created, and the 'non-versioned page' is reset to point to the latest version.  (This process was agreed by the group meeting for the last release of ACDD, and can be looked up by going back in the discussion list.)

3) changes of any type are managed by the documentation cluster (I see it says "ACDD Steering Committee", and there's even a list of people! conceivably we need to update that). I would recommend that the default operations be the ones previously adopted, until a new/better approach is agreed upon.

4a) As noted above, new intermediate documents are created during the discussion. The final document is created for the final vote.
4b) Yes, the document with the released version number (e.g, 1.3) in the wiki is the controlled document. See the Overview.
4c) Not sure what you mean by this question. Only wiki-authorized users may make changes to the documents, but there are a lot of those. (But if someone makes a change without permission, it will be obvious in the change history.) The pages are live.
4d) Yes, the wiki preserves change history for all changes.
4e) Yes, the URLs are unique for each release and contain the release version. So you can go to the ACDD 1.1 page and the ACDD 1.3 page and compare them manually. (Or automatically, after a few manual steps.)

John

John Graybeal
jbgraybeal at mindspring.com