[Esip-documentation] Two great agenda topics next Wednesday 5/27 at 2:00PM EDT

Ted Habermann tedhabermann at gmail.com
Tue May 19 11:17:17 EDT 2020

Hello all,

Hope that you all are healthy and staying safe. I am happy to let you know about two exciting topics for the ESIP Documentation cluster meeting next week.

ESIP members do a lot of important research in many branches of Earth Science and much of that research is funded by U.S. Federal Agencies. Keeping track of the results of this funding is critical for demonstrating data use and impact. CHORUS is an innovative and cost-effective approach to delivering open access to scholarly content reporting on funded research. Two of ESIP's principle sponsors are already using CHORUS (USGS <https://dashboard.chorusaccess.org/usgs#/summary> and NOAA <https://dashboard.chorusaccess.org/noaa#/summary>) as are several other partners. Howard Ratner, the Executive Director of CHORUS, will bring us up to speed on the CHORUS services and how they help organizations and institutions track their impact in the open literature. Howard has long experience as a leader in scholarly publishing. He was a founder of ORCID and played leading roles in the development of DOIs and Crossref. I met him while working on Metadata 2020. He is also a game design expert and helped me bring The Metadata Game to fruition.

Many ESIP members are active creators and consumers of metadata and programmers at the same time. They understand that json is easily shared and consumed in many popular programming languages. The Alaska Data Integration Working Group has been working with metadata in JSON for many years. Josh Bradley and Dennis Walworth will describe this work as an introduction to the broader topic of metadata in json.

Please join us for the meeting on Wednesday May 27 at 2:00PM EST at
https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/938671381
You can also dial in using your phone: United States: +1 (646) 749-3131 Access Code: 938-671-381

Looking forward,
Ted

Dr. Ted Habermann
Metadata Game Changer <http://tedhabermann.com/>