[Esip-drone] Community Ontology Repository - Developer Training

Beth Huffer beth at lingualogica.net
Thu Jan 4 20:10:36 EST 2018

Hello everyone,

I'd like to make you aware of the Semantic Technology Committee Business
Meeting <http://sched.co/D6D8> at 1:30pm on Thursday afternoon, which
will be immediately followed by a training session for prospective
Community Ontology Repository (COR) developers <http://sched.co/D6oC>.
The business meeting will be largely devoted to discussing/developing a
procedure for maintaining and improving the Community Ontology
Repository. This fabulous resource has recently been acquired by ESIP as
a community resource that we will all be able to make use of. We need a
plan for maintaining it as a community. We'll begin the process of
devising a plan during the business meeting. After the business meeting,
at 3:30, we will have a training session for developers to learn the
nuts and bolts of the COR. *If you are going to be at ESIP, and are
interested in working with the Community Ontology Repository, we
encourage you to attend both the business meeting and the training
session. *If you're not going to be at ESIP, but are nonetheless
interested in working with the COR, please consider attending the
training remotely. For those interested in COR training, please prepare
as follows:

  * For installation of the Ontology Registry and Repository (ORR)
      o Docker Engine / Docker Compose
          + https://docs.docker.com/engine/installation/
          + https://docs.docker.com/compose/install/
  * For ORR development
      o Git client program; Github account
      o Java, Scala, SBT (for backend development)
          + http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
          + http://www.scala-sbt.org/download.html
      o Node/NPM (for front-end development)
          + https://nodejs.org/
      o Docker Engine (to create ORR images)

Looking forward to seeing you at the Winter Meeting! Safe travels!

Beth Huffer, Chair
ESIP Semantic Technology Committee