[Esip-drone] Fwd: P13 summary and next steps

Jane Wyngaard jwyngaar at nd.edu
Wed Apr 10 15:45:42 EDT 2019

Hi all

Cross posting from RDA sUAS data IG list, apologies to those who get
duplicates.

Hi all

*Firstly many thanks to all of our presenters last week! * All
presentations are available here
<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EU1cyfLAMPXwPhpdPL7Jn-Exn7Jyus1W>

*Next steps and upcoming:*
1.
*Community paper: *"EMERGENT CHALLENGES FOR SCIENCE sUAS DATA MANGEMENT:
FAIRNESS THROUGH COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT AND BEST PRACTICES DEVELOPMENT"

This has been driven by you the community so we'd very much welcome comment
and will obviously include authorship.

Deadline for comment is before *Wednesday 24 April* (2 weeks from now),
when we intend to submit it to "
<https://www.mdpi.com/journal/remotesensing/special_issues/UAV_trends>*Trends
in UAV Remote Sensing Applications"
<https://www.mdpi.com/journal/remotesensing/special_issues/UAV_trends>.*

The paper is accessible via overleaf here
<https://www.overleaf.com/2444321453mdwhhhbvfzmj>, please use the tracked
changes edit and comment facilities to edit.  A pdf of the current version
is also attached.

2. We've been awarded *funding to develop a domain agnostic drone data API*
(thanks to Sloan foundation) to support scientific data infrastructure for
drones.  There will be multiple invitations to engage on this in the next 2
years.

   - The 1st of these will be a *API design event* at the ESIP summer
   meeting 2019 <https://2019esipsummermeeting.sched.com/>.  (Registration
   links coming very soon but you're welcome to email this list or myself to
   express interest now)
   - We will be drafting a* Drone Data Best Practices Working Group charter*
   over the next few weeks, look our for emails and telecon announcements.

3. Lastly just to note if you're not already on our mailing list please
join here
<https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/small-unmanned-aircraft-systems%E2%80%99-data-ig/case-statement/small-unmanned-aircraft-systems%E2%80%99-data>
so
as not to miss any updates.

Thanks again,

Jane

Jane Wyngaard, PhD

Embedded Systems Engineer & Data Technologist
Center for Research Computing
University of Notre Dame