[Esip-drone] [dronedata] RDA Best practices working group and more

jwyngaard via Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems’ Data IG dronedata at rda-groups.org
Wed Nov 13 01:17:18 EST 2019

Hi all

At last, the follow up from P14! This email contains:
*1. Draft WG charter and plans*: Input and chairs wanted, draft open until *13
December*
*2. Fellows*:  Support them, comment on their projects, contribute via
issues and PRs
*3. P15 and IG*:  Looking for input and support in planning both the
plenary session and co-located events.

Read on for details:

*1. WG charter and post P14*
First off, again many thanks to everyone who gave input during the
session!  I've finally digitised it all and created a WG charter draft
accordingly.  On reflection the results were interesting, when grouped by
themes and ranked votes we get the following.  Full details on the session
and plans are in this it repo <https://github.com/rd-alliance/sUAS-Data-WG>,
PR and issues welcome.  Linked from it is the Gdoc WG Charter
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WXppdfJ5SGojf-0BcxjXtaEu8bh3hfCoQNIi54v6xyI/edit#>
draft that is based on the session results.   Interestingly, if themed
topics are summed the most votes were for (1) Legal and ethical topics,
(2) Standards/ best practices (6 votes), and Infrastructure (5 votes)

In the case of Standards 4/6 were for ontologies.  I've tentatively skipped
over this,  however, as we're already working on that within LANDRS (but am
definitely open to discussion!).  There were also 5 votes total for
applications but for a range of different applications making that
difficult to pursue.  So I'm proposing we pursue:

   - A recommendation regarding legal and ethical best practice as regards
   capturing, publishing, and using sUAS for data capture.
   - A technical recommendation regarding the cyberinfrastructure
   requirements for supporting sUAS data capture in a research environment.

*2. Fellowships*As we've reached the end of the design stage of LANDRS,
we're just about to kickoff a number of development efforts.  4 of these
are going to be carried out by 4 interns.  We'll have them introduce
themselves on this list in the next few weeks but here are their projects
in brief.  We'd welcome PRs, comments, and general support for them.  The
easiest way to keep in touch on this front if directly via the LANDRS Slack
Channel
<https://join.slack.com/t/landrsworkspace/shared_invite/enQtODI5MjkwMzQ4NTY0LTE3MzQ4YmVmMzRlYzY4N2ViOTBmNGJlOTVhYjc2OTllYzZkOTFkNTU4OGYwN2E0ODFhYzJmOTYzNmRkY2MzODQ>.
Topics and repos are:
1. PySOSA <https://github.com/landrs-toolkit/PySOSA>: A python module for
building SOSA based RDF graphs
2. PySTEP <https://github.com/landrs-toolkit/PySTEP/blob/master/README.md>:  A
python module for building SOSA based RDF graphs
3. Autopilot babblefish <https://github.com/landrs-toolkit/LANDRS_Babelfish>:
A python module for converting flightlogs into geojsonLD.  Initially this
will be for converting Ardupilot logs but ideally will be expanded to
support more autopilots as interest grows.
4. Drone ontology modeling (Mapping VSSO to the drone ontology we've been
developing)

Lastly, for those interested, we're in the midst of building a prototype
onboard data support service application that will demo the use of an
OpenAPI spec.  Our in house programmers are building this but as always we
collaborators are very welcome and if you have interested students we have
limited support for adhoc fellowships.

*3. IG and P15:  *First off, P15 is 18-20 March in Australia where there is
a very active and mature drone community!  If anyone is interested to work
with us on planning either/or the plenary session or a co-located event
please just reach out.   I'm thinking it could be a great opportunity
particularly to invite key Ardupilot/HEX/RFD developers who are based
relatively locally perhaps even.

With Bar finishing up her Phd we're also actively looking for new IG and WG
chairs.  In the immediate there is limited travel support for such.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Jane
Jane Wyngaard, PhD

Embedded Systems Engineer & Data Technologist
Center for Research Computing
University of Notre Dame