[Esip-drone] American Security Drone Act of 2019

Jane Wyngaard jwyngaar at nd.edu
Wed Feb 26 17:14:36 EST 2020

Hi all

For those of you that don't monitor the slack Channel @Tyson Lee Swetnam
<tswetnam at cyverse.org> recently posted a note that could be concerning for
us:

I know those in this community working in the DOI have already been
somewhat grounded but the following is currently drafted (I don't know
where it is in US legal process) and looks like it could potentially
restrict all NSF funded work:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/5125/
"SEC. 5. PROHIBITION ON USE OF FEDERAL FUNDS FOR PURCHASES AND OPERATION OF
COMMERCIAL OFF-THE-SHELF DRONES AND UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS FROM CHINA.

No Federal funds awarded through a contract, grant, or cooperative
agreement or otherwise made available may be used to purchase a
commercial off-the-shelf drone or covered unmanned aircraft system, or
a system to counter unmanned aircraft systems, that is manufactured or
assembled by a covered foreign entity or in connection with the
operation of such a drone or system."

Have any of your respective universities, agencies, companies, research
organizations had discussions about the impact of this proposed Act?

jane

Jane Wyngaard, PhD

Embedded Systems Engineer & Data Technologist
Center for Research Computing
University of Notre Dame