[Esip-envirosensing] Bear deterrence methods for sensor stations

Brian Herndon bherndon at uga.edu
Mon Mar 28 10:50:31 EDT 2016

Greetings all,
The Coweeta LTER has environmental sensor stations located throughout the southern Appalachians and as our sensor network has expanded to 68 stations, the incidents of black bear damage have increased.  These stations are located in fairly remote hardwood forests requiring equipment to be hiked in. Many are setup like the image below with soil moisture and temperature probes radiating from the base.  We bury the sensor cables so most of the issues have been with the enclosure and solar panel.  We have tried installing electric fences around the enclosure, but maintaining battery power has been an issue.  I would like to receive any suggestions, hear some war stories, etc. as to how any of you have been able to prevent wildlife damage (especially bears) to sensor stations.

Brian Herndon
Information Manager
Coweeta LTER<coweeta.uga.edu>
706.542.5691