[Esip-envirosensing] Reminder: Envirosensing telecon, Tuesday, October 3

Scotty Strachan scotty at dayhike.net
Tue Oct 3 18:15:58 EDT 2017

Dear EnviroSensors,

Thanks those of you who came in to the call today (sorry your cell
dropped, Janet!). We'll have the recording/notes on the wiki soon.

In the meantime, here is the workflow/software/tool/framework model that
I tossed up as a starting point for the discussion. I think that further
fleshing out of the details of current data flow/management practices
associated with a model like this will be a good focus for the Cluster
going forward. So, we'll dig deeper on the next call, and plan for a
breakout session at the winter meeting.

This topic follows well on the Best Practices, and should fill in some
needed use-case, lessons-learned, and future-steps material.

The overall questions as I heard them on the call: 1) what are the major
components of sensor data management workflow today; 2) what is the
state of connectability for semi-automated management; 3) what are the
gaps in connectability and what are the pieces of information that flow
between them; 4) how scalable/modular are the existing tools; 5) how can
new modular/scalable tools be designed; 6) how can we consolidate and
communicate these development needs to CI agenda/policy/funding sources?

Cheers!

Scotty

Scotty Strachan, Ph.D.
Director, Nevada Climate-ecohydrological Assessment Network (NevCAN)
Coordinator, Environmental Research
Department of Geography
University of Nevada
email: scotty at dayhike.net