[Esip-envirosensing] ESIP Winter Meeting - EnviroSensing Session

Scotty Strachan scotty at dayhike.net
Sat Jan 6 17:58:49 EST 2018

Dear EnviroSensors,

With the Winter Meeting in Bethesda next week, I just wanted to update
the group on our planned session activity.

http://www.esipfed.org/meetings/upcoming-meetings/esip-winter-meeting-2018

Our session is on Tuesday afternoon, and will be a "casual" working
session on end-to-end sensor data workflows. The Cluster discussion over
this last year indicated that there is significant interest in an
updated survey on the actual tools/methods that people are using for
different portions of the workflow.  Our primary activity therefore will
be to engage in exactly that!

I've prepared a graphical worksheet that I will have hardcopies of for
people to interact with at the session. We will see if this is a useful
way to collect high-level information on the diverse workflows that
folks in our community employ, and if there would be benefit for wider
distribution.

You can preview the worksheet here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k35d1lo1yfqlgnk/2018_Winter_data_flow_worksheet_ss.jpg?dl=0

After the meeting, I will make the results available to everyone ASAP
(whether we have 3 participants or 30!), probably by scanning the
completed sheets.

Originally, I had thought to use these data in a proposal to the NSF
Cyberinfrastructure SSI program for software tools & frameworks, but NSF
OAC has pulled that solicitation and it has not reappeared yet.
Regardless, in my conversations with researchers, network scientists,
and NSF OAC program officers, a functional and flexible software
framework that could integrate existing tools and provide development
space for new ones appears to remain a gap that needs filling. Hopefully
some of you will find this sort of information useful!

These last couple of weeks has seen me transitioning into a new position
at my institution that will work across all aspects of institutional CI,
which is exciting for me but will involve less time turning screwdrivers
and doing hard science. Regardless, Renee and I will keep the Cluster
activities going in 2018 with a mix of outside presenters and internal
topic focus.

Happy New Year to all of you, and I look forward to seeing some of you
next week. Otherwise I will see you on our monthly calls!

Cheers,

Scotty

--

Scotty Strachan, Ph.D.
Director, Nevada Climate-ecohydrological Assessment Network
email: strachan at unr.edu
alt-email: scotty at dayhike.net
cell: 775-721-1308