[Esip-envirosensing] Envirosensing Cluster August Meeting - Tues Aug 6th at 5pm EST (2pm PST)

Pignatelli, Anthony PIGNATEA at email.sc.edu
Thu Aug 1 15:48:55 EDT 2024

Hello EnviroSensors,

Please join us for our August Meeting: Tuesday August 6th at 5:00 pm EST (2:00 pm PST). See below for zoom link!

This month, we welcome Dr. Scott Ensign from the Stroud Water Resource Center to give a talk entitled “An Open Source Ecosystem of Environmental Monitoring Technologies”.

Stroud Water Research Center maintains an open source ecosystem of hardware, code, and web services for environmental measurement and monitoring. Most relevant to the ESIP EnviroSensing Cluster are EnviroDIY and Monitor My Watershed. EnviroDIY is an open source hardware initiative that provides training, online resources, and promotes peer-to-peer exchange regarding data logger programming, sensor integration, and system deployment. Monitor My Watershed Data Sharing Portal is an open source web app for sharing and visualizing data submitted from remote devices via HTTP POST request. EnviroDIY and Monitor My Watershed welcome discussion and use with any type of data logger, although the Mayfly Data Logger (designed and sold by the Stroud Center) offers a consistent product for the Stroud Center’s science, education, and training efforts. Both initiatives evolved from NSF, EPA, and William Penn Foundation investments over the past decade, and now serve a diverse community of academic, non-profit, agency, and private sector scientists. Learn more at https://envirodiy.org<https://envirodiy.org/> and https://monitormywatershed.org<https://monitormywatershed.org/>, and consider attending an upcoming workshop: https://www.envirodiy.org/event/learn-diy-electronics-for-environmental-monitoring/

Scott Ensign is the Vice President, Assistant Director, and Research Scientist at Stroud Water Research Center, a not-for-profit water science center in Southeastern Pennsylvania. In addition to his administrative roles at the Stroud Center, Dr. Ensign coordinates strategy and operations of EnviroDIY and Monitor My Watershed (two tools in the Stroud Center's WikiWatershed.org toolkit). He also leads research projects at the Stroud Center on estuarine ecology, river ecosystem ecology, and citizen science. He is the former co-founder of Aquatic Analysis and Consulting, LLC and Planktos Instruments, LLC; he received his Ph.D. and M.S. in ecology from UNC Chapel Hill before serving as a Mendenhall Postdoctoral Fellow at USGS in Reston, VA (a complete biography is available here: https://stroudcenter.org/people/ensign/).

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://esipfed-org.zoom.us/j/85237873060?pwd=YXJpSldadkdGR3hGL1EwR3NQcTVFUT09

Meeting ID: 852 3787 3060
Passcode: 534639

Warm regards,
Anthony, Joe, Dan, and James

Anthony J. Pignatelli, M.S.
PhD Student in Biological Sciences| Dallas Lab
ESIP Community Fellow | Envirosensing Cluster
Service Chair | Graduate Association of Biological Sciences
Department of Biological Sciences
University of South Carolina
Email: pignatea at email.sc.edu
Office: Earth & Water Science Building 601