[Esip-esda] NCA Proposal

Kempler, Steven J. (GSFC-5860) steven.j.kempler at nasa.gov
Fri Jan 23 09:45:31 EST 2015

Hi All,
Stephanie, Bruce, Thanks for connecting all of us.

Stephanie,
Of course, we welcome another opportunity to work with the AIRS Team on another project.  And would be happy to provide a letter of support.  We (The GES DISC) just need to be careful not to take on too much additional unfunded work…our funding sources often notice, and become unhappy.  Thus, with that said, we would need to know what level of support you are looking for.  For example:

  *   Are you proposing to generate the data and send it to the GES DISC for archive and distribution?
  *   Or, is the proposal to develop the algorithm and product, and when complete, include the software as part of the AIRS suite of software that is delivered to, and execute at, the GES DISC to generate the AIRS products?
  *   Will this software that would be integrated at the GES DISC replace existing AIRS software being integrated at the GES DISC?  (Each Science software integration and test takes a some effort)
  *   Do you know if the proposed products are very large (volume)?
  *   What do you see the GES DISC effort to be during and after the proposed period of performance?
  *   The GES DISC typically distributes 'standard products'.  Standard products having some level of peer review.  If your product is a research product, users won't know that unless fully described as a research product.  is that OK.. with you.. and the AIRS Team?

Sorry to ask so many questions.  As much as we want to support your project we have to be fair and make sure it does not hurt us too much in the pocketbook.  And trying to understand what the GES DISC commitment would be.

Thanks for contacting us.  I look forward to your next e-mail.

Best Regards Steve