[Esip-infoquality] A Slate article on Climate Change local impacts - The Info Quality Challenge is "When Does the Signal Warrant Action"

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 15:04:25 EST 2012

The Slate on-line journal has an interesting article

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2012/11/hurricane_sandy_demonstrated_that_our_infrastructure_is_not_ready_for_climate.html

It's reasonably thoughtful - and raises an information quality issue:
When is information quality of data high enough to identify a signal that
makes it prudent
to expend money to adapt to the risk?  If we take this framework as a
useful one,
the statistical question is "what are the upper and lower bounds of the
potential change
(using the GUM nomclature)?" and then "what is the risk of loss if those
bounds
exceed the conditions expected when infrastructure was created?"  That puts
the
issue within the realm of cost-benefit calculations.  The question seems
straightforward
enough - building the IT infrastructure to contribute to answering it may
be a challenge.

Bruce B.