[Esip-infoquality] Reminder - IQC Monthly telecon - Tomorrow May 8, 2018

Ge Peng - NOAA Affiliate ge.peng at noaa.gov
Mon May 7 09:28:57 EDT 2018

All,

The next telecon of the Information Quality Cluster will be *tomorrow*
Tuesday, May 8, 2018, starting at 11 AM US Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) or 8
AM PDT. Sorry for the short notice – Rama has been on travel with limited
access to email.

A draft agenda on the usual Google doc we use for taking meeting notes is
at:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T4wEmY48qpP7cDrbqV7tppkZ3q0GG
kJNz_glvu4C2RI/edit.

Please add any item that you would like the cluster to discuss at this
telecon.

This month, our invited speaker will be *Professor Christopher Merchant*
from University of Reading. The title of his presentation is “*Uncertainty
in Climate Data Records from Satellite Observation*.” Below is the abstract
of his presentation:

“Within the context of the European Space Agency Climate Change Initiative
(ESA CCI), several projects addressing climate data records (CDRs) for a
wide variety of essential climate variables worked together on agreeing and
articulating some common principles for including uncertainty information
in CDRs. Convergence was reached (eventually!) on eight recommendations for
good practice on uncertainty information in CDRs. These recommendations
should be considered in a wider context of discussion of the trade-offs and
motivations involved; these can only briefly be alluded to in this
presentation, but are laid out in the full paper on this study (
doi.org/10.5194/essd-9-511-2017 ). The talk will summarise the eight
recommendations, which cover how uncertainty can be expressed, validated
and contextualised for users. Some obstacles to provision of good
uncertainty information will be discussed, a significant factor being the
absence of uncertainty information in fundamental climate data records
(FCDRs, level 1 data). It will be argued that FCDRs should be provided with
uncertainty information adequate to propagate uncertainty to CDRs, and some
progress on achieving this within the EU project FIDUCEO (www.fiduceo.org)
will be outlined.”

Hope to see you all at the call tomorrow. Chris’s presentation is closely
tied with our effort on Data Uncertainty.

I will also provide a quick update on the work associated with the
NCEI/ESIP-DSC Data Use/Service Maturity Matrix and a WMO-Wide Stewardship
Maturity Matrix for Climate Data (SWW-CD).

Best regards,

--- Peng

(On behalf of IQC co-chairs: H. K. (Rama) Ramapriyan, Ge Peng, and David
Moroni)

PS - For your convenience I have also included the GoToMeeting instructions
below:

GoToMeeting/Telecon Instructions:

·        To join the meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone,
click:

o   https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/240974205

·        You can also dial in using your phone.

o   United States: +1 (312) 757-3121

o   Access Code: 240-974-205

--

*Ge Peng, PhD*
*Research Scholar*

NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)

Center for Weather and Climate (CWC)

151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
+1 828 257 3009; ge.peng at noaa.gov

ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-1986-9115