[Esip-infoquality] Peng's slides: FW: IQC telecon

Ge Peng - NOAA Affiliate ge.peng at noaa.gov
Tue Nov 13 16:20:31 EST 2018

Hi Chung-Lin,

Thanks a lot for your positive comment. Glad you enjoyed the presentation.

The data rescue issue touches on many different areas and perspectives –
some of those are beyond the scope of data preservation. It can be related
to rescue data from its obsolete format such as physical records. It can
also be related to rescue data from politically endangered data sources as
you have mentioned. You may have already known that ESIP DSC had a session
at the ESIP 2018 Summer Meeting to identify data risk factors – there are a
lot of them!

In my opinion and generally speaking, if a dataset is well-managed,
well-preserved, well-documented, publicly available and usable, the risk
for it to disappear is low; so is the need for it to be rescued. Perhaps,
stewardship maturity models can be used to measure the data risk and the
need of data rescue from the stewardship practice perspective.

Having said that, I do not consider myself as an expert on data rescue so
please correct me if I am wrong.

Appreciate the discussions.

--- Peng

+1 828 257 3009; ge.peng at noaa.gov