[Esip-marinedata] Marine Data Cluster - 2019-09-12 - Surfing an Ocean of Knowledge for Sustainable Development : AI for bringing out the best of ocean observing

Carolina Berys-Gonzalez cberysgonzalez at ucsd.edu
Mon Sep 9 22:10:57 EDT 2019

*Topic: Surfing an Ocean of Knowledge for Sustainable Development : AI for
bringing out the best of ocean observingTime: Thursday, 2019-09-12, 10:30
PST (17:30 UTC)*

Hello all,

Please join this Thursday's Marine Data Cluster call for what is sure to be
an exciting presentation from Pier Buttigieg
<https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4366-3088> of AWI <http://www.awi.de>,
"Surfing an Ocean of Knowledge for Sustainable Development : AI for
bringing out the best of ocean observing".

The rapidly approaching UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable
> Development will call on the international community of ocean observers to
> rally and share the best of their capacities to address urgent global
> challenges. This is no small task, as the community's diverse knowledge and
> methodologies are largely siloed and fragmented along regional,
> disciplinary, and cultural lines. Knowledge representation (KR) - a branch
> of artificial intelligence dealing with computable semantics - can help to
> coherently express and interlink community knowledge, offering a scalable
> means to bring its members together. In this talk, I will brief
> participants on the KR systems underlying the IOC-UNESCO Ocean Best
> Practices System (OBPS; www.oceanbestpractices.org), as well as describe
> how to engage with the OBPS in support of the Decade.

I hope you can attend!
------------------------------------

*Connection Information via GoToMeeting:This group will convene every month
on the second and fourth Thursday10:30 AM Pacific Time, 1:30 PM Eastern
Time, 17:30 UTC*

Marine Data

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/157892821

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (312) 757-3121 <+13127573121,,157892821>

Access Code: 157-892-821

First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check:
https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check

--
Carolina Berys-Gonzalez
Scripps Institution of Oceanography