[Esip-marinedata] Marine Data Cluster - ESIP Winter Meeting Session and No Call This Week

Carolina Berys-Gonzalez cberysgonzalez at ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 11 15:55:15 EST 2022

Hello everyone,

We hope you are all having a great year so far!

There will be no regular call this week, and next week is the ESIP Winter
Meeting.

For those of you attending, the Marine Data Cluster will be hosting a
session on Thursday, January 20, from 1:30pm - 3:00pm ET.

Title: Recent advancements in marine data management: From ‘omics to
imaging and beyond
<https://2022esipjanuarymeeting.sched.com/event/qkok/recent-advancements-in-marine-data-management-from-omics-to-imaging-and-beyond>

*Session Abstract*: As a collaboration between the Marine Data Cluster and
the Biological Data Standards Cluster this session will bring together a
collection of presenters to discuss recent advancements in marine data
management. Building off this year’s theme of Data for All People: From
Data Generation to Data Use and Understanding we will showcase innovative
and time-tested techniques for managing the heterogeneous observations of
the world's oceans. This session will feature a series of lightning talks
on the various approaches followed by open discussion on potential
collaborations and overlap.

We hope to see you there!

We have also been informed of a session on space data which might be of
interest to MDC members and I am forwarding the invitation here:

Invitation to January 24 1600 ESIP session on space data

I'd like to invite you and your cluster to this session
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sched.co_qkp2&d=DwMFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=JRyHDTSSV8XWzsCe57sJgxgntdhYmryi3JpfyaW99NU&m=5t5Sd0q2o76F7fZ6Cprg16F2zCLhmGd7czURKrXw-c9agE7_jnWuXEYcshnsLMkU&s=wyIQXDlZtcuyALF0pWu5T08jTuSnO3teOtojJ3r1gXw&e=> on
> January 24 at 1600.
> I have been serving in a couple of ESIP committees/clusters, include
> semantics related, and esip partner orgs.

The topic of this session is space data--data about outer space phenomena
> artificial and natural--and knowledge organization systems (taxonomy,
> thesauri, vocabularies, semantic models, ontologies, etc.). It is related
> to my past ESIP presentations, including this FundingFriday pitch
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__wiki.esipfed.org_File-3AROVETTO.pdf&d=DwMFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=JRyHDTSSV8XWzsCe57sJgxgntdhYmryi3JpfyaW99NU&m=5t5Sd0q2o76F7fZ6Cprg16F2zCLhmGd7czURKrXw-c9agE7_jnWuXEYcshnsLMkU&s=-JigigjsBVtIuQD86UiOf1aY3yaaItqz06N39AgMhnw&e=> and
> two associated presentations
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__qiqochat.com_breakout_30_iXzvwudajGKqljWWLEMowhKFK&d=DwMFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=JRyHDTSSV8XWzsCe57sJgxgntdhYmryi3JpfyaW99NU&m=5t5Sd0q2o76F7fZ6Cprg16F2zCLhmGd7czURKrXw-c9agE7_jnWuXEYcshnsLMkU&s=B9IH1wMy5Rtd3rUtdN9ys2h4ZCdW0L15XhwaiWdDyuo&e=>
>  (ESiP research showcase in 2020).
> *Relevant context*: I've attended some marine data cluster meetings, and
> previously introduced some of your members to ontology topics, in
> particular. My marine background is boat operations as a merchant mariner,
> and I currently serve in maritime safety committees. I've written grant
> proposals with professors on marine data before. I'm an aspiring PhD
> student, actively open to study and work opportunities, so if anyone has
> interest in potentially working together on any of these topics, please
> contact me anytime.
> My recent focus areas include: knowledge representation, ontology,
> taxonomy, semantics, conceptual modeling, with special focus for maritime
> operations and astro/space topics.
> Please let me know if you know others who might like to attend.
> Very respectfully,
> Robert Rovetto

Best,
MDC Admin