[Esip-marinedata] IOOS & Google Summer of Code 2024 - call for mentors by Feb 6. We need your help!

Micah Wengren - NOAA Federal micah.wengren at noaa.gov
Fri Dec 22 11:25:19 EST 2023

Calling all oceanographic data open source software maintainers: we need
your help! IOOS plans to apply as a mentoring organization for Google
Summer of Code 2024.  IOOS has participated previously in GSoC 2021 and
2022:

   -

   2022: https://github.com/ioos/gsoc/blob/main/2022/project-results.md
   -

   2021: https://github.com/ioos/gsoc/blob/main/2021/project-results.md

To be accepted, we need as many project ideas submitted as possible by the Feb
6, 2024 deadline.  Mentors don’t need to be affiliated with IOOS directly -
if your software is open source and is connected in some way to
oceanography or ocean data, we’re happy to include it in our application.

Serving as a mentor for Google Summer of Code can be a highly rewarding
experience - coach an aspiring student on open source software development
and coding best practices; broaden the use of your software; get that
project or feature you’ve had on the back burner completed!  Student
projects can involve developing code, contributing training materials or
use case examples, or extending the scope of software in new, untested or
innovative directions.

If you’d like to contribute a project idea (a small, medium or large coding
project for a student to work on as a summer project with a stipend
provided by Google), please submit your idea to the IOOS GSoC GitHub
repository: https://github.com/ioos/gsoc by Feb 6.

Draft or initial project ideas are OK.  Project ideas need to include basic
background information (project description and purpose, expected skills,
mentor names), but it’s a fairly easy lift to propose a new project.  If
IOOS has a strong enough application to be accepted to the 2024 program,
you’ll have until the student application period begins on March 18 to
polish your project and add additional details before students can apply.

The 2024 GSoC program includes three sizes of student projects (the time
they’ll have to complete it): medium at ~175 hours, large at ~350 hours and
a new size: small at ~90 hours. See the following links for more
information:

   -

   Tips for mentoring:
   https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/what-makes-a-good-mentor
   -

   Defining project ideas:
   https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/defining-a-project-ideas-list
   -

   Overview of the 2024 GSoC program:
   https://opensource.googleblog.com/2023/11/google-summer-of-code-2024-celebrating-20th-year.html

Mentors are expected to be able to commit several hours per week working
with your selected student on their contributions: reviewing submitted
code/documentation and providing feedback to ensure the student’s project
is successful.  Of course, the more time you can spend working with your
student on their project, the better chance of success and the greater
reward for both student and mentor.

Please reach out to Micah (micah.wengren at noaa.gov), Matt (
Mathew.Biddle at noaa.gov), or Filipe (ocefpaf at gmail.com) to discuss project
ideas or with any other GSoC questions, or file an issue with your question
or suggestion in the ioos/gsoc repository.

Apologies for any cross-postings.

Thanks!

Micah, Matt, and Filipe

--