[Esip-preserve] Fwd: researcher identification and authorization

Wilson, Bruce E. wilsonbe at ornl.gov
Sat Jul 11 19:52:59 EDT 2009

Relevant to the provenance discussion.

I'm wondering whether we should connect with the group that has
started to organize itself at http://www.gen2phen.org/groups/researcher-identification
  - there ought to be lots of room for future synergy and shared needs.

Bruce E. Wilson (wilsonbe at ornl.gov)
Environmental Sciences Division
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
(office) +1-865-574-6651

From: "Gudmundur A. Thorisson" <gthorisson at gmail.com>
Date: July 5, 2009 6:13:29 AM EDT
To: Helena Deus <helenadeus at gmail.com>
Cc: marshall at science.uva.nl, shared-names at googlegroups.com, Jonathan
Rees <jar at creativecommons.org>, Tim Clark <tim_clark at harvard.edu>, W3C
HCLSIG hcls <public-semweb-lifesci at w3.org>
Subject: Re: Dr. Bunsen's URI and knowledge sharing

Hi all. Our group has done some work to explore the issues surrounding
online identity for researchers, originally from perspective of
controlling access to sensitive biomedical data. Some months ago we
put up a website which may be useful to the discussion, with a primer
(intended for a non-tech audience) and a collection of background
materials in the wiki section:

  http://www.gen2phen.org/groups/researcher-identification

Apart from setting up this site as an information resource and
discussion forum (feel free to join the group!), we recently organized
a workshop held last May, with attendees from CrossRef, Thomson-
Reuters, Elsevier and others, including Barend Mons (from WikiPeople,
which Scott mentioned). Presenter slides from the workshop are
available here (minutes not yet compiled, apologies):

  http://www.gen2phen.org/event/irbw2009-workshop-may-13-14-toronto

Also, if I may throw in a couple of comments. Firstly, to add to what
Lena said, OAuth is emerging as a delegated authorization protocol
supported by many big Web 2.0 players (see e.g. ). OAuth combined
with  OpenID (http://openid.net) for authentication is sort of like an
open-source version of Facebook Connect, for single sign-on. OpenID as
an auth technology may be a 'sweet spot' , i.e. 'secure enough' for
many practical purposes and extensible, while still being relatively
easy to use (compared to 'heavyweight' Grid security solutions). The
technology has support from large swaths of the Web 2.0 social web  -
Google, Facebook, Yahoo and other major players back it - and there's
now tens of thousands OpenID-enabled sites, including our own (see [2]
for more on this).
For this reason, we feel that piggy-backing on this technology for
scientific application will be key to wide user adoption. Examples of
existing or upcoming use of OpenID in the scientific domain include
the International Cancer Genome Consortium which will use OpenID for
controlled-access data, and MyExperiment.org. We ourselves have
several smaller pilot projects in the pipeline where OpenID and
friends will be leveraged in a similar way.

Secondly, whether an OpenID or some other identifier (URI or
otherwise) is the actual 'person identifier' used in e.g. SemWeb
documents is an open question (e.g. see discussion here: http://ff.im/GbM8
  and ref [3]). But for scientists, CrossRef's upcoming CrossReg
contributor ID service would seem to meet Scott's definition of
"authoritative and neutral source" (they already run the DOI system),
and looks poised to become at some stage the primary source of long-
term, stable identifiers, at least in the context of scholarly
literature and authorship-related domains.

Hope this was helpful. Best regards,

		Mummi, Leicester

[1] http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_plaxo_openid_oauth_usability.php
[2] http://www.gen2phen.org/researcher-identification-primer/openid-common-authentication-system
[3] Bourne PE, Fink JL (2008) I Am Not a Scientist, I Am a Number.
PLoS Comput Biol 4(12): e1000247. http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1000247

Gudmundur A. Thorisson, Brookes lab
Department of Genetics
University of Leicester