[Esip-preserve] AGU Position statement on data preservation and a townhall meeting

Mark A. Parsons parsonsm at nsidc.org
Wed Aug 12 16:37:20 EDT 2009

Hi ESIP preservationists,

The AGU position statement on "The Importance of Long-term
Preservation and Accessibility of Geophysical Data" was approved by
the AGU Council last spring and is available at http://www.agu.org/outreach/science_policy/positions/geodata.shtml

Note the last sentence in the fifth paragraph:
"The scientific community should recognize the professional value of
such [data production] activities by endorsing the concept of
publication of data, to be credited and cited like the products of any
other scientific activity, and encouraging peer-review of such
publications."

Bernard Minster (copied), chair of the panel that wrote the new
position statement, likes the idea of a townhall meeting, and I
believe would be willing to coconvene with us. I'm happy to help too.

The task now is to draft an abstract. I'm willing to take a first
crack, if y'all agree the topic. I suggest  something like "Research
publication and data referencing practices to ensure verifiable
science, sponsored by the AGU Data Panel and the ESIP Preservation and
Stewardship Cluster"

Perhaps, Bernard could introduce the position statement. Rob or Ruth
could speak on ESIP approaches/best practices (including the work on
identifiers). I could then moderate a discussion.

Let me know what y'all think?

Finally, I note that the International Polar Year developed some data
citation guidelines that may be useful: http://ipydis.org/data/citations.html

Cheers,

-m.