[Esip-preserve] AGU Position statement on data preservation and a townhall meeting

Jean-Bernard Minster jbminster at ucsd.edu
Wed Aug 12 18:33:07 EDT 2009

All:
I agree to be a co-sponsor and to present the AGU statement.

I also agree with Ruth that the town hall meeting will be more
successful if it is more focused.

I do not concur with Ruth's suggested title, though.  While most AGU
members will agree with the broad statements about data, and perhaps
will not contribute much to the town hall, the issue that I think
should be front and center is "the publication OF data".  What is
required is a fundamental change of mind-set in the research community
(especially academia). People who put together verifiable and
corrected, and calibrated, etc data sets do not have a way to place
this in their list of publications, and often are passed over for
promotion, tenure, etc, compared to their colleagues who use their
data!  This is a difficult issue that calls for a community
discussion.   I would offer something more like:

"Peer-reviewed publication of data: the undervalued contribution to
verifiable science"

.... Just my view!
Cheers,
Bernard

Jean-Bernard Minster               e-mail:  jbminster at ucsd.edu
Professor of Geophysics          Phone:   (858)534-5650
                                             FAX:     (858) 534-2902
                                             WWW:     http://igpp-sw.ucsd.edu/

Scripps Institution of Oceanography
University of California