[Esip-preserve] Fwd: Call for review of GBIF LSID-GUID task group report

Alice Barkstrom alicebarkstrom at verizon.net
Wed Aug 19 10:25:27 EDT 2009

As a further note on what I called the "advertisement"
business in the response to the GBIF report.

It makes a big difference in the credibility of a recommendation
that an organization "take leadership" as to the source of
the recommendation.  Since the "recommendation" that
GBIF "take leadership" comes from a document created
by GBIF, that recommendation sounds like a typiical
case of special pleading - no different than claims by
car dealers or health insurance companies.  On the other
hand, a recommendation by, say AGU or the National
Academy of Science, carries a lot more weight.  Inclusion
of the current form of the recommendation diminishes my
view of this report because of the self-interested nature
of the recommendation.

Bruce B.