[Esip-preserve] Next Telecon

Mark A. Parsons parsons.mark at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 22:47:51 EST 2009

Hi all,

Some thoughts on the AGU Townhall for discussion tomorrow:

We are scheduled for an hour on Thursday 1930-2030 (see description
below). We want to introduce the topic and get everyone thinking, but
we also want to allow for discussion. I think we should allow at least
1/2 hour for discussion.

Our current plan is to have Bernard introduce the AGU position
statement and then have Rob or Ruth speak on ESIP activities
(including the work on identifiers). We also talked about introducing
specific approaches to data citation. I mentioned the IPY guidelines.
Bob Cook pointed out that ORNL has a similar approach. Indeed, about a
decade ago NSIDC introduced the concept to all the DAACs who
supposedly adopted it across the board. Other organizations, including
GBIF, Pangea, and others also have approaches. All these approaches
are similar but not identical. Do we want to achieve some sort of
commonality? I think we want AGU journals to take a lead on the issue.
How can we do that? I'm happy to give a bit of an overview, but I'll
need help. There are several issues  that none of the approaches have
fully addressed, including making citations machine understandable and
capturing specific versions or subsets of data in a citation.

Then there is the issue of data peer-review. There are specific peer-
reviewed journals devoted to data publication, such as  _Earth Science
Data_ and _Ecological Archives_.  Personally, I think this approach is
limited and even  misguided, but I am probably unusual in that regard
( I don't like DOI's either).

Bottom line is that we have to determine what we want to accomplish
out of this townhall , and the best way to get there. That's the topic
for tomorrow.

Talk soon,

-m.

Peer-Reviewed Data Publication and Other Strategies to Sustain
Verifiable Science
Moscone West, Room 2008
Cosponsored by EP, IN

Objective, verifiable science requires formal, reviewed publication of
both data and research results. Data publication facilitates essential
scientific processes including transparency, reproducibility,
documentation of uncertainty, and preservation. The AGU Council
reaffirmed this fundamental responsibility in a revised position
statement. Nonetheless, data publication lacks established cultural
practices and quality standards for modern, complex, digital data
sets. This town hall meeting will present the AGU position statement
and evolving international data publication mechanisms. We seek input
from all disciplines on state-of-the-art approaches for data peer-
review, peer-recognition, citation, and other verification practices.
The Federation of Earth Science Information Partners will publish
discussion results.