[Esip-preserve] draft ESIP Data Policy

Ruth Duerr rduerr at nsidc.org
Wed Dec 9 12:32:33 EST 2009

At our last telecon, I said I'd start routing around a draft data
policy for comment and edit by the group.  Well since that time, I
haven't had a spare second to think about it.  As a result, the draft
below is just that - very drafty!!!  Please help move this task along!

Ruth

Draft ESIP Data Policy

Whereas, data stewardship and dissemination are central to the ESIP
Federation's vision to be a leader in promoting the collection,
stewardship, and use of Earth science data, we adopt the following
data policy:

For Type I & II members, data shall be freely and openly available on
a non-discriminatory basis except where prohibited by law or legal
agreement.

For Type III members, data shall be available on a non-discriminatory
basis.  Data, metadata, and products shall either be free of charge or
available at no more than the cost of reproduction for research and
education.

All data, metadata, and products will be made available with minimum
time delay.