[Esip-preserve] A Minor Note on Nomenclature

Mark A. Parsons parsonsm at nsidc.org
Tue Aug 24 16:33:43 EDT 2010

Not sure I'm following all this, but OAIS defines "Provenance Information" as something different from "context Information". Both are part of the full suite of Preservation Description Information along with Reference and  Fixity information.

I generally find the OAIS definitions correct and useful.

Provenance Information: The information that documents the history of the Content Information. This information tells the origin or source of the Content Information, any changes that may have taken place since it was originated, and who has had custody of it since it was originated. Examples of Provenance Information are the principal investigator who recorded the data, and the information concerning its storage, handling, and migration.

Context Information: The information .that documents the relationships of the Content Information to its environment. This includes why the Content Information was created and how it relates to other Content Information objects.

Reference Information: The information that identifies, and if necessary describes, one or more mechanisms used to provide assigned identifiers for the Content Information. It also provides identifiers that allow outside systems to refer, unambiguously, to a particular Content Information. An example of Reference Information is an ISBN.

Fixity Information: The information which documents the authentication mechanisms and provides authentication keys to ensure that the Content Information object has not been altered in an undocumented manner. An example is a Cyclical Redundancy Check (CRC) code for a file.

-m.