[Esip-preserve] Stewardship Best Practices

alicebarkstrom at frontier.com alicebarkstrom at frontier.com
Wed Oct 6 10:26:24 EDT 2010

I suspect getting NOAA to agree would be even
more difficult than NASA.  As I recall, the CIO's
office in NESDIS didn't allow release of read
software for files.  Also, at least for NASA EOS
data, I believe the policy dictated that source
code had to be made available to "legitimate"
requestors.  Thus, NOAA has obtained code from
most of the EOS investigations of interest for
climate and passed that code on to contractors
such as Northrup-Grumman for inclusion in the
processing of data for NPP and whatever NPOESS
has become.

Bruce B.