[Esip-preserve] Stewardship Best Practices: availability of source code

alicebarkstrom at frontier.com alicebarkstrom at frontier.com
Wed Oct 6 12:46:55 EDT 2010

Here are some cases where source code availability
might get problematic:
1.  Data creation source code embedded in instrument
and satellite hardware, which is probably contracturally
the property of the contractor.  This software converts
analog signals to digital ones at the instrument level,
while the software that inserts digitized instrument data
into the satellite packets is usually done by satellite
software.  Interfaces for this work are documented as
part of the project documentation.
2.  Workflows that use commercial products, such as MATLAB,
might encounter proprietary limitations on the availability
of source code.  There is a possible morass of IPR stuff
that could go with this, including software patents.
3.  GIS software - noting that ESRI has patents on data
formats and other items.

One, more optimistic note is that the Library of Congress
has had some voice in Congress putting drop-dead time periods
on release of IPR.  As one might note, this approach is subject
to current legal battles, including prohibitions on reverse
engineering and the Google legal case on orphaned
book copying.  In a sense, it might be paraphrased as
Mickey Mouse's life as a Disney agent versus the need for
scholars to access material for the common good.

Bruce B.