[Esip-preserve] Another Issue

alicebarkstrom at frontier.com alicebarkstrom at frontier.com
Tue Oct 12 13:32:44 EDT 2010

I don't think we've spelled out who is responsible
for keeping up the links for the citations when
something changes.  Here are some variants on the
questions I don't think we've answered:

1.  Who is responsible for maintaining the correctness
of links when something changes - and how much persuasiveness
do they have?

This question can be made more specific by asking some
related questions:

1a.  Is the data provider or the archive going to have to let
the resolving authority know that they're going out of
business?

1b.  Who is responsible for correcting for "link not found"
kinds of messages?

2.  What quality of service agreements are required
for the parties involved in archival and resolution
authorities?

On a practical note, the PURL server was down for about two
weeks when I was trying to research for the paper.

3.  In the event we have multiple archives storing the
same data, what provision does the resolving authority
need to make for that situation?

3a.  Does the resolving authority need to make provision
for data collections that have "scientifically identical"
contents but that have different formats, data element
serialization, and even different partitioning of data into
files - particularly if the different collections are stored
in different archives?

I don't think the paper had any specifics on these issues.
>From my perspective, they need some mention.  If we have
anyone with practical experience in this area, it would be
useful to get a note on how they've dealt with the issues,
along the line of Ken's very helpful note earlier this
morning.