[Esip-preserve] Possible Workaround for data identity non-uniqueness?

alicebarkstrom at frontier.com alicebarkstrom at frontier.com
Wed Oct 13 12:18:00 EDT 2010

A third use case that is important for preservation:

3.  The original file is lost or unreadable, although I've got
     copies in a variant format and with rearrangements.  I've
     also got mappings that we believe demonstrate scientific
     equivalence from one or more of these copies.  In this case,
     we might not be able to recreate an exact copy of the original
     file because the process of demonstrating SEC did not preserve
     some elements of the original file.  For example, the original
     was created in FORTRAN, while the only copy we've got is in
     HDF and contains array dimensions that weren't in the original
     FORTRAN.

     This case can be extended to multiple mappings, where now the
     intermediate copies are also lost or unreadable.  Maybe the third copy
     is in XML - and the tags were not part of either the first or
     second copies.  Note that if the chain of possible copies gets
     long enough, there is likely to be the possibility of multiple
     paths to establish the equivalence.  This may mean that equivalence
     becomes a stochastic variable where we ask "how many comparisons
     do I have to make to establish that the probability of my not
     having an authentic copy is below T?"

Bruce B.