[Esip-preserve] Fwd: Community hub for progress on data citation tool support

Curt Tilmes Curt.Tilmes at nasa.gov
Fri Nov 19 20:48:04 EST 2010

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Community hub for progress on data citation tool support
Date: 	Fri, 19 Nov 2010 18:04:33 -0600
From: 	Heather Piwowar <hpiwowar at GMAIL.COM>
To: 	DC-SCIENCE at JISCMAIL.AC.UK <DC-SCIENCE at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>

Hello DCMI,

Since many of us are interested in citations to datasets, I want to make
sure you are all aware of a just-launched open document: A Community Hub
<https://docs2.google.com/document/d/1mHYlu3IU3q6RaJfkxyNZQcykYMB-iak4N2Gd3fNgd2Q/edit?hl=en#>
for* improving
tool support for tracking citations to datasets and other nontraditional
products*.

As you may know, it is not currently possible
<http://researchremix.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/tracking-dataset-citations-using-common-citation-tracking-tools-doesnt-work/>
track citations to datasets through Scopus and ISI Web of Science, even
if they are cited with DOIs.  The purpose of this hub is to provide:

     * a central meeting ground for the many individuals and
       organizations interested in this issue
     * a living document that captures current unmet needs
     * an area to inventory and develop initiatives to encourage vendors
       to address these issues as soon as possible

DCMI members are uniquely positioned to provide insight and direction...
we'd appreciate your input.

Please check it out
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mHYlu3IU3q6RaJfkxyNZQcykYMB-iak4N2Gd3fNgd2Q/edit?hl=en>,

add what you know, suggest some ideas, and send the link around to
others who care about this issue so that we can achieve data citation
tracking through Scopus and Web of Science ASAP.

Thanks!
Heather

--
Heather Piwowar

DataONE postdoc with NESCent and Dryad
    remote from Dept of Zoology, UBC, Vancouver Canada
hpiwowar at nescent.org <mailto:hpiwowar at nescent.org>
http://researchremix.org <http://researchremix.org/>
@researchremix