[Esip-preserve] On Earth Science Data File Uniqueness

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 08:09:02 EST 2011

The uniqueness of UUID's wasn't the question.  The point was that if
the generator gave out "Bob", "Bill", "Jane", and so on, if there weren't
a place to find out about who created the object and when, the identifier
is simply another bunch of digital garbage in the file or the result set
from the database.  In other words, the ID's have a "social function".

Bruce B.