[Esip-preserve] On Earth Science Data File Uniqueness

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 14:27:50 EST 2011

My argument is "where do you go to get metadata when
all you've got is an ID?"  UUID's are fine - but certainly don't
contain redirection addresses.  To paraphrase, "knowing that
this file is called 'Bob' doesn't tell me which family to call to
find out where I should return him, nor does it tell me what
format he's in."  So where do we get that.  In human terms,
where do we find his birth certificate?  This is kind of an inverse
to the problem "given an ID, where do I find a file?" which is the
locator use case problem.  This one is "I've got an ID and a file,
where do I go to find out about if if that's all I've got?"

Bruce B.