[Esip-preserve] A Couple of Interesting Articles

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 10:41:58 EST 2011

For reading not directly connected to our technical discussions,
although probably relevant for background context, the following
two articles might be of interest:

Christian, B., 2011: Mind vs. Machine, The Atlantic, Vol 307,
Mar. 2011, 58-69.  Blurb from the table of contents: "Artificial
intelligence has advanced to the point that computers can very
nearly pass for human.  What are they telling us about ourselves?
To find out, the author enters himself in a famous battle of wits
pitting man against computer"  [and wins the prize
for the "most human human" in the Turing test].

Gropnik, A., 2011: Does the Internet change how we think?
A Critic at Large section, The New Yorker, Feb. 14 & 21, 2011,
124-130.  This is a review of several books on the impact of
the Internet on thinking, dividing them into the categories
"Never-Better", "Better-Never", and "Ever-Was" - referring to
prospects for how the Internet might change our perspectives.