[Esip-preserve] Citation Scenarios

Curt Tilmes Curt.Tilmes at nasa.gov
Wed Feb 16 09:04:21 EST 2011

On 02/07/11 15:02, Bruce Barkstrom wrote:

> I think we need to add another item to the list of new "projects": a
> set of fully worked out examples of citation scenarios that include
> at least the following: [...]

I captured (some of) this onto the Citations wiki page [1] in two new
sections: "Citation Scenarios" and "Citation Scenario Issues".  Needs
some editting to be useful.

> So, I'd like to see this kind of activity added to our discussions
> on Wednesday.  It does need to dovetail with the inclination to work
> toward a "standard" for "materials that need to be preserved".

We have so much to cover and discuss, here is my proposal:

1. Keep the official "Monthly telecon" for high-level status,
   planning, etc.  A time for the whole cluster to touch base.  I
   don't think we have the time to devote much "working time" and
   still accomplish the "business" functions of the meeting (which we
   barely get through anyway).

2. I agree that the mailing list/wiki, while very useful, aren't
   sufficient to achieve consensus on details and the ESIP meetings
   are too rare to address all the issues we need to.  I think we need
   to add additional "working group" telecons devoted to specific
   sub-areas or topics needing more real-time discussion.  These could
   be totally ad-hoc, or (my preference) a standing telecon (perhaps
   on the 3rd or 4th Wed at the same time as the other telecon) where
   we propose topics, then devote a telecon to address those topics.

   It is perhaps premature for some of our activites where we are
   really still in the research/investigation/discussion phase, but at
   some point, for one or more activity we may want to implement more
   formal governance.  The Discovery Cluster has set up a nice process
   for managing their standards.[2]

Curt

[1] http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Interagency_Data_Stewardship/Citations

[2] http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Discovery_Governance