[Esip-preserve] Wiki updates

Curt Tilmes Curt.Tilmes at nasa.gov
Mon Mar 7 09:02:55 EST 2011

We've done a bit of re-organization on the cluster pages.  I think
there is still more to be done here.

Here's the main Preservation and Stewardship page:
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Preservation_and_Stewardship

We stole the new look/feel from other clusters, which I think both
makes our page nicer and brings some commonality across the ESIP
cluster pages.

Looking for feedback (or help with more changes).

The top two boxes are for quick access to the main contact info,
meetings, telecons, mailing list, etc.

I'm trying to make a separate page for each of the major 'activities'
we are working on (Identifiers, Citations, Content Standard, etc.) in
the bottom left.

The bottom right I've labeled "Other Stuff" for now, I linked some of
the preservation material we've accumulated over the years here.  We
could also link some of the 'artifacts' produced by the activities
over here.  I still think we still need to work out consensus on some
of this -- might need more 'governance' in the future, categorizing
the maturity of various artifacts and imposing more formality on some
of them.

We may need more boxes or reorganize those a bit in the future -- like
I said comments or participation welcome.

A few notes about wikis --

Anyone can register for the wiki, anyone can edit/update any page.
Please register and contribute!

It can be a bit intimidating to get started, but the structure here is
very informal -- if you have some content, links, references,
etc. please feel free to add any content to any page.  Formatting is
secondary, and others can clean things up after the fact -- don't
worry if it doesn't look right, just get stuff up there -- it is more
important to get the content up there than to make it look good.

Another thing I've not used much in the past, but I see good use of in
other wikis and other ESIP Fed clusters are the 'discussion' pages.

Every page has several tabs at the top.  First is "page" that shows
you the main content of the page.  Next is an adjoint "discussion"
page for discussion about the content.  For an example of this, look
here:
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Talk:Provenance_and_Context_Content_Standard

I linked Rama's email about the context spreadsheet onto a main page,
then copied Chris' comment about the spreadsheet into the talk page.

We could use the wiki discussion mechanism to bring a bit more
organization and permanance to our discussion than the mailing list.
I'm not sure we want to go that route, but I thought I'd describe it
and see what others think of that.  It may be easier to just keep
everything on the mailing list?

Next is the "edit" tab that let's you update the main content.

"history" gives a list of all the changes to the content, who changed
what, when the changed it, and, if you enter a reason, why it was
changed.

The "watch" tab is a toggle that instructs the wiki software to let
you know if someone changes the main page or its discussion page.

I would suggest cluster members register for the wiki, and select
"watch" on the pages of the activities they are most interested in.
As work proceeds and artifacts are produced the pages will get updated
with the latest info about that activity.

I'm no wiki expert, and I still have a lot to learn, but I'm really
getting into it of late, and just wanted to share some info about it.

I consider our part of the wiki itself as a major achievement of the
cluster -- pulling together all sorts of information about the topic
where we can share our work with the greater federation and community
beyond.

Curt