[Esip-preserve] Use Case Contribution

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 16:50:14 EST 2011

I'm working on a UML description of a use case involving production of glacier
photographs and two use cases involving the use of such photographs.
I've sent Curt a copy of the state of the UML documentation as of about
10 am this morning and am hoping to get all of these finished by the end
of the week.  One of the data user use cases will involve a high school student
writing up a report for a class assignment using two photographs of a glacier
and some text scraped off a Web page.  The other use case is a quantitative
assessment as to whether the glacier photos could be used to provide an
estimate of glacier area shrinkage or ice volume decrease over the last
century or half-century.  For the latter, I'll use equations that will
be embedded
in a pdf write-up of the scenario.  I think the second set of use case scenarios
will clearly show the difference between context and provenance artifacts.

I'll add some items from this UML discussion to Rama's spreadsheet and
then make some suggestions regarding the spreadsheet in the near future.

As an additional note, while there is some generic similarity of these use
cases to ones that Ruth might contribute from the NSIDC Glacier Photo
Collection, the use cases I'll be creating are based on my experiences taking
astronomical photographs with glass plates in graduate school, as well as
writing three papers on radiative transfer in snow and working with a digital
SLR camera for artistic purposes.  Ruth will not need to declare responsibility
for any of the stuff I'll be contributing (although I'm moderately familiar with
the spreadsheet containing metadata for the NSIDC site - for which I am
grateful to Ruth).  As usual, any mistakes in this material will be
mine, not hers
nor NSIDC's.