[Esip-preserve] Upcoming meeting planning

Curt Tilmes Curt.Tilmes at nasa.gov
Tue Apr 5 12:29:09 EDT 2011

We need to finalize plans for upcoming meetings as soon as possible.

The session proposals for Fall AGU are due April 20.

At the last telecon, Mark, Ruth (Mark volunteered Ruth) & Rama talked
about trying to put a session abstract together.  I'm sure they would
welcome other input.

Peter Fox set up a wiki ESSI collaboration site here:

http://tw.rpi.edu/portal/AGUFall11_Session_Ideas

(If you joined the RPI portal wiki last year, your account should
still be valid -- if anyone else needs write access to that page,
email westp at rpi.edu and Patrick will give you an account.)

My personal advice would be to develop a broad enough concept to
incorporate all of our Preservation/Stewardship ideas in hopes of
getting sufficient submissions to achieve an oral session plus a
poster session.

We also need to schedule any workshops/breakouts for the ESIP Summer
meeting as soon as possible to help with de-conflicting and allocation
of rooms.

Rahul has started a wiki page here:

http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Jluly_12-13_Summer_Meeting,_Santa_Fe,_NM#Technical_Workshops_and_Session

The plan is for technical workshops Tuesday afternoon July 12 and
Wednesday morning.

Plenary Wednesday July 13 afternoon

Breakout sessions during Thurs/Fri July 14-15

At the last telecon, we had discussed a working session to flesh out
Preservation Use Cases Tuesday afternoon.  (We could also continue
that Wednesday morning, but I'm worried a bit about burning out too
much.)

We also discussed a joint session for Preservation/Semantic Web.  I
mentioned that to Peter Fox and he seemed amenable.

I'm thinking between now and the meeting, we try to flesh out some
of Hook's Use Cases here:

http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Preservation_Ontology#Use_Cases

Anyone interested in Preservation Ontology Use Cases, select "watch"
on that page so you'll get notified of changes.  It would be great if
each such person could contribute 1 Use Case to build on -- doesn't
have to be complete/perfect at this point, just brainstorming.  We can
refine/combine/etc. to get a good set to work from later.  Also keep
in mind Frank Lindsey's advice from the Winter Meeting -- it's more
valuable to take one use case through to fruition than to spend a lot
of time trying to get a set of use cases perfect up front.

Then we plan 1 break-out session (should that be 2?) to have
Hook/Chris/Peter etc. facilitate interactive Concept Mapping and
Ontology development building from those use cases.  Could be
scheduled any time it doesn't otherwise conflict with Semantic Web
breakouts.

Do we want other specific breakout sessions? (Citations, Identifiers,
Content Standard) I'm torn on some of those -- I don't want to repeat
the previous talks, but I also think we could make use of some
face-to-face time to further those activities.

We could have Mark lead a Citations session building on the outcome
and recommendations from GeoData 2011?

The Content standard is perhaps too detailed to walk through
completely, but perhaps Rama/John could give an overview and help
guide us to specific areas that need more input?

>From the meeting feedback, we have two requests -- 1) Fewer powerpoint
talks and more informal discussion and 2) Less informal discussion and
more structured talks.

Thoughts?

Curt