[Esip-preserve] Another Slant on Identifiers

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 14:52:59 EDT 2011

Exactly.

I was going back to the experience Alice and I had back in graduate school
when we maintained a double entry bookkeeping system by hand, using an
abacus for math.  After five our six years of daily use, you can get reasonably
proficient with an abacus.  The core of the experience, though, is the use of
data structrures that ensure consistency and help track the flow of items
through accounting transactions.

I think the basic approach involves creating a separate account (or ledger)
for each item with an identifier.  I did take a look on the Web to see whether
this approach seemed sensible.  So, I checked on inventory control software,
particularly to see about items that need serial numbers (ascession
numbers, if you
will).  Based on the items that Google responds with, this problem is
pretty well
within standard accounting approaches and is built into most
accounting software
that deals with manufacturing or other large ticket items, like cars,
airplanes, or
RVs.  It looks like the accountants would call it serialized inventory control.

I think using the double entry approach would also let us tie our use of the
term "provenance" to the more familiar use of that term for art objects.  If you
recall, I had taken a look at Web sources for this information and
found that in the
art world, provenance seemed to be related to who had owned items.  In other
words, a good inventory control system that used serialized inventory items
would allow an Archive to say which items had been loaned out, which had been
copied, where in the Archive they were stored, and so on.  Such a system should
also provide useful help in auditing the state of the inventory.
[Alice would probably
note that one still might need to find out who had locked books in his or her
carel - or had slightly "rearranged" the order in which books were placed on
shelves in order to keep "their" collection accessible just to them.]

There is probably a more esoteric use for this in a production environment,
which is calculating the increase in value of items created by running old
data through software.  I don't know that this problem is particularly difficult
from an algorithmic perspective, although getting reliable estimates of the
proper value increase (or some numerical range) may be a rather
interesting exercise
in getting accountants to reach consensus.  I think this application might be
an exercise in cost accounting (noting that the US Standard General Ledger
lurks just off stage).

I'm working up an example of the double-entry approach as part of what I'm
writing in the use case documentation.  I'll also note that data producers have
to deal with unique identifiers before librarians - and they will have
identifiers
that deal with versions.  I'm inclined pretty strongly in thinking
that librarians
don't have a lot of experience with the versioning problem in large-scale
Earth science data production, although perhaps that reflects my personal
biases.  Let's see if we can lay out a scenario and then talk about what it
reveals.

Thanks for noting the ties to library experience.

Bruce B.