[Esip-preserve] Addition of a Page on Use Cases

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Fri May 13 12:55:20 EDT 2011

Please note that I've added a new page to the Preservation Cluster
WG Wiki dealing with Use Cases.  In some conversations with
Curt this last week, it appears that we have a divergent set of
views as to what use cases should do.  I think there are three
possible cases:
1.  Use use cases to ensure that examples we create have
reasonable coverage of the possible kinds of production scenarios
we might include (such as exploratory data production or industrial production).
2.  Use use cases to develop a UML model to ensure that we
identify the objects needed in a system - with enough detail to
avoid "verbal sliperiness" that may result from "sound bite"
discussions and "word smithing".
3.  Use use cases to develop a working system or simulation
that could test proposed implementations for conformance to
expected functional specifications.

You'll note that I've suggested a categorization of the use cases
that is intended to be very concise so that we don't have to develop
a complex specification of the use case cases.  It may not be
complete and it's not intended to replace the very complex metadata
specifications that most of us are familiar with.  Please try not to
do much word smithing on this suggested categorization - if you
can avoid it.  Of course, if it's structurally wrong, it should be fixed.

The new page is located at
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Preservation_Use_Cases
Comments welcome - preferably improvements and clarifications.