[Esip-preserve] Proposed ESIP Data Science/Life-Cycle Committee

Curt Tilmes Curt.Tilmes at nasa.gov
Wed Jul 13 11:21:27 EDT 2011

I wanted to draw your attention to this proposed change to the ESIP
Federation Bylaws.

http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Constitution_and_Bylaws#9._Add_new_Data_Science.2FLife-Cycle_Committee
Add VI.4.1: The ESIP Federation shall include a Standing Committee for
Data Science/Life-Cycle. Its roles are:
a) To ensure continued and reliable access to, information content,
quality, and usability of Earth science data for as long as they are
deemed to be of value.

Comments: This change elevates the role of the Provenance and
Stewardship Cluster to recognize its importance. The change also expands
its scope to encompass data quality, metadata, and other data-specific
topics. This Committee provides an analog to the Information Technology
Committee for data-related issues.

At the ESIP Federation Meeting, there are two opportunities to provide
comments on proposed changes to the Federation Bylaws (Thurs 10:30am,
repeated at 8:30am Fri).

We will also discuss this at the Data Preservation Cluster
Business Meeting on Friday.

Comments and questions also can be submitted via email (send to Rob
Raskin <robert.g.raskin at jpl.nasa.gov> by the end of July). The proposed
changes (with any modifications based upon feedback received) will be
voted on at a later date.

(btw -- if you would, cc: me (or this list) with comments sent about
this to Rob as well.)

Curt