[Esip-preserve] Citations guideline revisions

Mark A. Parsons parsonsm at nsidc.org
Mon Jul 25 13:59:13 EDT 2011

OK, here's a  suggested revision that seeks to be more accommodating, while noting why DOIs might be preferred.

Cheers,

-m.

The assignment of a unique and persistent locator offers a more consistent approach for managing current location information. Any reasonably persistent location service such as DOIs, ARKs, Handles, PURLs etc. is acceptable. Scientific publishers, however, are most familiar with the DOI. Furthermore, Thomson Reuters  is exploring the inclusion of DOIs and possibly ARKs in their citation indices, such as the Web of Science. This suggests that while any persistent locator can be used in a citation, DOIs and possibly ARKs are more likely to be accepted by publishers. Note DOIs, ARKs, andn Handles are useful to locate full data sets or collections. Other locators and identifiers may be more appropriate for locating individual records or files. Best practice is that the suffix of the identifier does not include a reference to the archive in case the data are moved from the original location where the persistent identifier was assigned initially.