[Esip-preserve] [ESIP-all] Please review Draft ESIP Data Citation Guidelines

Mark A. Parsons parsonsm at nsidc.org
Wed Aug 17 22:29:17 EDT 2011

Thanks Russ. I think I read this a few years back. I reread it all now and I think our proposed guidelines address  all the issues Lawrence raises as best as possible. His last post on Oct. 20, 2006 was the most challenging. The cluster had a lot of discussion on what is a "publisher". Ultimately, we kinda  side-stepped the issue. The primary purpose of citation is to refer unambiguously to the exact data used. The "publisher", if indeed one exists, may be valuable in assessing the quality of the data, but that is a secondary consideration to the primary need for precise reference. Data quality and data peer-review are critical considerations in data stewardship, but they are secondary issue to data citation. After all, we can cite all forms of literature, but it is up to reviewers and readers to assess the quality of those citations. It's the same with data.

Regardless, if you think the guidelines don't address Lawrence's concerns please tell me specifically where they are failing. It has indeed been a slow process. I remember grappling with this issue more than a decade ago. It is encouraging, however, that the issue now has greater prominence.

Cheers,

-m.