[Esip-preserve] Identifiers

Mark A. Parsons parsonsm at nsidc.org
Thu Feb 16 11:55:15 EST 2012

I have seen a data set referred to as a collection in some communities. I have also seen collection refer to a collection of data sets, like a collection from a field campaign or a particular instrument. This also sometimes called a suite of data sets. I have also seen dataset (i.e. misspelled as one word) refer to what we often call granules. Think of datasets in THREDDS. I think these are all legitimate terms that mean things in context.. I think the question Curt is really trying to address is what kind of identifiers do we assign to what kind of things, regardless of what we call them

For DOIs, whose primary purpose is literary citation, I think they should be applied to some sort of logical grouping of data (that logic is defined by the author and stewards and might usually consider what  data  are typically used in conjunction with each other). These things are typically called data sets and/or collections or maybe AIPs. They can have different levels of hierarchy (or not) that get DOIs such as one for the collection or suite and several for the data sets in that collection. DOIs are not suited for deep hierarchies or detailed identification, though, because of their financial and administrative costs. Perhaps, another way of thinking about it is that DOIs should typically point to some sort landing page, which implies that there is some sort of set or collection underlying that page, not just a single item.

More detailed items in the hierarchy or web of data need different kinds of identifiers. Perhaps also data that are arranged hierarchically may use different identifiers that those that are arranged in more of a linked-graph based collection or distributed "e-science object". I'm sure there are other considerations as well. For example, one also needs to consider whether the identifier needs to be actionable.

While we can say in our community that certain identifiers should be used  for "data sets" or "granules" or "collections" or whatever, what we really need to do is define the effective use of recommended identifiers for different types of things (including non-digital things and transformations of things). English is imprecise, one word doesn't always cut it.

Cheers,

-m.