[Esip-preserve] A Summary of Yesterday's discussion on Data Sets

Mark A. Parsons parsonsm at nsidc.org
Fri Feb 17 17:06:35 EST 2012

From the OED:

data set, n.
Pronunciation:  Brit.	/ˈdeɪtə sɛt/ , /ˈdɑːtə sɛt/ , U.S. /ˈdædə ˌsɛt/ , /ˈdeɪdə ˌsɛt/
Etymology:  < the plural of datum n. + set n.2

 1. A collection of related data, esp. when handled as a unit; (Computing) a named data file.

1958    Western Polit. Q. 11 499   Since three data-sets were utilized, guide-lines‥were defined in terms of the proportion of three cases in which a certain correspondence was observed.
1961    H. D. Leeds & G. M. Weinberg Computer Programming Fund. iii. 75   We thus have a control count of data sets.
1982    Computerworld 20 Dec. 29/2   C-Star is said to list tape volume of contents including serial number, owner, data set names and file qualities.
1988    Computer Graphics World 11/1   It is quite easy to compress, exactly, any reasonable data set by 2:1.
1992    Pixel Mar.–Apr. 22/1   Volume rendering‥involved assigning a color and an opacity to each point in a dataset.
2003    M. Kraak & F. Ormeling Cartogr. (ed. 2) v. 94/1   If one realizes that almost all countries have their own national grids and adhere to different hierarchies in their administrative units it is not that straightforward to match them into a single data set.

datum, n.
Pronunciation:  /ˈdeɪtəm/
Forms:  Pl. data /ˈdeɪtə/ .
Etymology:  < Latin datum given, that which is given, neuter past participle of dare to give.(Show Less)
 1.
 a. A thing given or granted; something known or assumed as fact, and made the basis of reasoning or calculation; an assumption or premiss from which inferences are drawn.
1646—1888

 b. Philos. datum of consciousness, etc. (see quots.). Esp. datum of sense (cf. sense-datum n.).
1846—1902(Show quotations)

 c. pl. The quantities, characters, or symbols on which operations are performed by computers and other automatic equipment, and which may be stored or transmitted in the form of electrical signals, records on magnetic tape or punched cards, etc.
1946—1970(Show quotations)

 2. In pl. Facts, esp. numerical facts, collected together for reference or information.
1899—1971(Show quotations)

 3. Used in pl. form with sing. construction.
1807—1971(Show quotations)