[Esip-preserve] [esip-semanticweb] Identifiers for people?

Bruce Caron bruce at tnms.org
Wed Mar 7 14:15:15 EST 2012

I've been following the ORCID project for a while. The California Digital
Library is involved. I would think this could be a solution in the near
future.

Bruce

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) <
christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov> wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2012, at 1:44 PM, Matt Jones wrote:
>
> > ESIP may find what we decided on for DataONE useful.  DataONE is using
> InCommon (http://incommon.org) via the CILogon (http://www.cilogon.org)
>  service to provide federated identities for users across many
> institutions.  We are also following the ORCID initiative closely, as that
> might prove to be a useful approach as well.  We have created an identity
> management service that also allows mapping of equivalent identities across
> InCommon identity providers, so if the same person has accounts under
> multiple IdPs, they can map those as all equivalent.  ORCID may help with
> this feature in the future.
> >
> > Matt
>
> Well, I can't argue with the various goals and technical work going on in
> these orgs, but I wonder if these are all inclusive enough for our purposes
> in ESIP.  incommon.org is for government-registered/funded research
> organizations and sponsored partners; orcid is for "researchers".  What
> about museum curators? K-12 educators, community college teachers, even
> teaching colleges that don't do research? Not-for-profit applications users
> (e.g., environmental orgs)? Citizen scientists? Independent organizations,
> like the Society of General Agitators?
>
> > On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) <
> christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov> wrote:
> > This topic came up at the last ESIP Semantic Web telecon, where URIs are
> needed to identify people for some of our linked data efforts.  I thought
> either Erin, Tom Narock, or Eric Rozell had done some thinking on how to do
> this, at least for ESIP members...
> >
> > On Mar 7, 2012, at 12:51 PM, Robert R. Downs wrote:
> >
> > > Curt  -
> > >
> > > You might already be aware of the activities of ORCID
> > > http://about.orcid.org/ and its collaborators to address these issues.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Bob Downs

> > --
> > Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185

> --
> Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185

Bruce Caron, PhD
New Media Studio
417 Samarkand Drive
Santa Barbara, CA 93105