[Esip-preserve] Fwd: [ESSI] Article on open software for science

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Wed Apr 18 16:51:28 EDT 2012

On Apr 18, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Bruce Barkstrom wrote:

> Might be interesting to make a recommendation
> to embed that into software development contracts
> by federal agencies.

Yes, and it is embedded in many, maybe even most, such contracts. Unfortunately, the various complexities of patent, copyright and indemnification apparently mean a lengthy process for release approval even in those cases. It's even more complicated when we reuse software components like we should.  Having it in the contract does increase your chance of success when you reach the end of the process, though.

Then you have university grants, which are fundamentally (legally I think) not supposed to be about software delivery to the govt. And university attorneys are especially enthusiastic about asserting rights because some universities are making big money on licensing patents.

Makes me yearn for the early 90's, when we were young(er) and blissfully ignorant about all this stuff...

> Bruce b.
>
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Curt Tilmes <Curt.Tilmes at nasa.gov> wrote:
>> Makes the case that "Funders, publishers, and research institutions must act
>> to ensure that research computer code is made widely available."

Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185