[Esip-preserve] Data Citations in the Age of Electronic Publication

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 09:18:18 EDT 2012

Good suggestions.

The Adam Smith electronic book would fit with the first
paragraph of your suggestion, since the chapters are
already partitioned into sections.

Building an index to the parts for random access is
a more complex issue. I've got an automated
procedure for building an index in my book manuscripts,
but it's a pretty complex one:
   - run the TeX text through a parser that separates the
      material into words
   - make the words all lower case (or upper case)
   - remove uninteresting short words or words that
      shouldn't go into the index (`a', `and', `the', etc.)
      words in the list and identify the context so that
      the program can insert the indexing markup in
      the TeX file
   - run the TeX indexing file to actually create the
      index page references

Using a hierarchical partitioning scheme also strikes
me as useful - although the diversity of schemas may
make it very difficult to reach a consensus.  Mike Folk had
commented to me about this.  As I recall, he regarded
the variety of partitionings that showed up as a real can
of worms.

The diversity is even more difficult since it's possible to
rearrange tables or multi-dimensional arrays of numerical
values without really losing information.  Thus, one may
not be able to assume that when data producers or curators
or users who "republish" data may decide to replace one file
with an "equivalent" file in a different format.  In the new
"version", the sectioning might be quite different.
[I won't go into an exposition on my experiences with
NCDC precip files, where I rearranged and reformatted
the data, although if asked, I can provide details.]

To back up in generality, books use two schemes for
referencing specific items: a hierarchical structure that we
usually see in the Table of Contents and a random access
structure that we see in the Index.  Maybe we need to
consider similar approaches to referencing material.

Perhaps we should consider this to be a research topic.
I suspect we need some scenarios or use cases that show
when this kind of referencing is needed in order to preserve
information or provide appropriate "scholarship."

Again, thanks for the comments.

Bruce B.