[Esip-preserve] Note on Citations from Eco

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 09:49:45 EDT 2012

I was rereading the Introduction of Eco's book [Kant and the Platypus]
and ran across the following paragraph on citations there [Op. Cit., p. 7]:

``I'm not going to attempt an exhaustive table of acknowledgments,
because it would be pure name dropping, starting with Parmenides.
The bibliographical references at the end of this book do not make up
a bibliography, they are only a legal device aimed at avoiding accusations
of having omitted the names of persons from whom I took direct
quotations.  And so many important names -- those of authors to
whom I owe much but whom I have not cited directly -- are absent.''