[Esip-preserve] Potential Sessions relating to Physical Objects for summer meeting

Denise Hills dhills at gsa.state.al.us
Thu Mar 21 14:03:17 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I've created a google document with ideas about sessions relating to physical objects for the summer meeting: http://goo.gl/WSwYL
Feel free to add/comment/etc there, but for your convenience, I'm also copying my draft write-ups below.

Some of my initial thoughts about these - do you think there is a way to combine Idea 2 and 3 into a single session? Or 1 and 2 into one session? Or all three into 2 back-to-back sessions? Or??

I do my best work when others contribute, so don't feel that you would offend me in any way, shape, or form, if you slash and burn any or all of these.

--

Idea 1) Do digital standards and practices work for physical objects?

How well do currently developed standards and practices for digital data apply to physical objects and collections? This session will present a preliminary evaluation of the current Data Stewardship Principles and Provenance and Context Content Standards recommendations with respect to physical object and related data stewardship, and then open the floor to discussion of how what steps might be taken to incorporate issues of physical object and related data into the current ESIP recommendations.

Idea 2) Physical Object Preservation Challenges (and Opportunities?)

At this session, we will discuss the major challenges and obstacles to physical object preservation (both legacy data and newly collected data). Some of these issues include media degradation, lack of resources, and lack of training. The goal of this session will be to discuss ways in which ESIP is already providing opportunities for better preservation and ways in which ESIP can further enhance its role in this process. This is meant to be highly interactive, so come with your ideas!

Idea 3) Data Collection Structure - Can we make any recommendations in the interest of data preservation?

Some examples of physical object data collection structures will be presented, with the purpose of defining what constitutes an object in a collection, and what attributes are needed to define such an object. We will compare these data collection structures to current digital data collection structures, and hold a discussion on what we can learn from these. This is preliminary work, with the long-term goal of developing recommendations for collection structure to assist in data discovery and access, as well as developing consistent metadata.

--

Thanks!

Denise Hills
Acting Program Director, Energy Investigations
Geological Survey of Alabama
office (205) 247-3694
cell (205) 239-8191
dhills at gsa.state.al.us<mailto:dhills at gsa.state.al.us>