[Esip-preserve] OAIS RM Audits and Collection Structure

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Sun May 26 16:10:49 EDT 2013

If you haven't run into it before, you might want to get a copy of
CCSDS 652.0-M-1 Audit and Certification of Trustworthy Repositories
(which is also ISO 16363:2011, although this probably lies outside the
boundaries of the groups dealing with the ISO 19115 and related
geospatial standards).  Just Google CCSDS 652-0-M-1 and the
first reference should be the pdf for this document.

One question that comes to mind is how to keep track of the
inventory of items in an Earth science archive.  I'm inclined to think
that a data structure that can encompass the collection structures
we're encountering would also be able to serve as a kind of backbone
for an inventory that would assist in auditing the preservation approaches
of an archive.  If you look at 652.0-M-1, you'll also see that it encourages
keeping records of custodianship - who authorized events that affect
the inventory and who actually implemented those actions.  I'm not
sure whether or not the event "objects" in some of the library standards,
such as FRBR specifically tie to an inventory.  Can someone familiar
with those particular standards (including PREMIS or METS) comment?