[Esip-preserve] Validation Provenance

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 17:59:55 EDT 2013

We haven't had any discussion that I can recall about
data used in the validation work that typically accompanies
data production for the Earth science products I'm familiar
with.  Roughly speaking, I think the effort involved by science
teams is a significant fraction of the original development
effort.  I don't think this should be ignored, since it's often
the major approach to getting a verifiable uncertainty - and
may involve a rather large number of files with original data.

There may be divergence in practices for different
communities.  I recall a comment from someone in
bioinformatics that he'd never heard of error.  That might
not be entirely surprising if the scientific work of his
group involved identification of genes or biological species.
On the other hand, in most of our physical measurements,
it's critical.

What are our suggestions about citing data used in
validation - which often needs to be subsetted from a
small selection of the total files from a project?